Staying hydrated is vital to your health. And you can make your water fun and fruity. With infused water, you get the appropriate hydration and the flavor of juices or teas - but with no added sugar.
Benefits of Drinking Water
Did you know your body is about 60% water, and your blood is 90% water? Water keeps your entire body functioning properly, so it’s important to ensure you’re getting the right amount every day.
Water helps your:
- Blood: Water enables your blood to carry oxygen and nutrients to your brain, heart, kidneys and muscles.
- Digestive System: You can easily stop constipation when dehydration is the culprit.
- Joints: Water lubricates your joints, so they work at their full potential.
- Kidneys: Water can prevent kidney damage and disorders.
- Skin: Water helps support clear skin and no wrinkles.
- Teeth: Water helps to lower your risk for tooth decay.
How Many Ounces of Water Should You Drink Each Day?
For you to feel your best and for your body to function correctly, you must drink water throughout the day. According to the U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, an average healthy adult living in a temperate climate needs the following daily fluid intake through water, other beverages and food:
- About 125 ounces (15.5 cups) for men
- About 91 ounces (11.5 cups) for women
While it’s common advice to drink 8 glasses of water a day, this amount could vary depending on a few factors:
- Exercise: When you sweat, you lose fluids. Be sure to drink water before, during and after your workout.
- Environment: Sweating in hot or humid weather causes you to need to replenish your fluids.
- Overall Health: If you have a fever, vomiting or diarrhea, you need to hydrate more with water, or follow a doctor's recommendation to drink oral rehydration solutions.
- Pregnancy and Breast-feeding: Be sure to drink extra water to stay hydrated.
If you aren’t drinking enough water, you risk becoming dehydrated. Some warning signs of dehydration include weakness, low blood pressure, dizziness, confusion or dark urine. Even mild dehydration can have negative effects on your physical and mental performance.
How Do You Infuse Water
Good or bad, your past hydration habits are now water under the bridge. It’s time to upgrade your drinking practices with DIY-flavored water. The benefits of drinking water that’s been infused with fruit and herbs go beyond simply providing your body with much-needed hydration; infused water will also satisfy your cravings for something sweet, fruity and refreshing.
Here are tips to keep in mind when creating your own fruit-infused water:
- Chop or slice fruit and remove any seeds before using.
- The longer your water infuses, the stronger the flavor. Refrigerate your fruit and water combo anywhere from 15 minutes to 24 hours. Any longer and the water may taste bitter and the fruit and/or herbs may start looking limp.
- Refill the pitcher with water as you drink. Though each batch will be milder in taste, the ingredients will continue to infuse.
- Tap water works well, but you can brighten things up by using sparkling water instead.
- If you’re entertaining, fill a beverage tub with ice to keep your infused waters chilled. For variety, make multiple flavors and use glass carafes to show off the ingredients.
- Whether building a DIY drink station at a party or drinking at home, use Mason jars for smaller or individualized batches.
What Are Some Popular Infused Water Recipes?
These recipes are super-easy and guaranteed to please. Just place the fruit, herbs and ice in a glass carafe or water bottle, fill with water and refrigerate.
- Orange + blueberries
- Apple + blackberries
- Kiwi + strawberries
- Watermelon + fresh mint
- Cucumber + lime + fresh mint
- Pineapple + coconut
- Blueberries + raspberries + strawberries + blackberries (or any combination of berries)
- Orange + grapefruit + lemon + lime
- Lime + peeled ginger
- Honeydew + fresh basil
- Lemon + fresh thyme
- Cantaloupe + fresh mint + blueberries
- Mango + blackberries
- Blackberries + fresh rosemary
- Grapefruit + blackberries
- Pineapple + fresh mint
You can also have fun creating your own infused water combinations. Choose your add-ins and raise a glass of infused water to celebrate proper hydration. Find more healthy living tips here.
Disclaimer: This information is educational only and not providing healthcare recommendations. Please see a healthcare provider.