Spinach Ricotta Pancakes with Sweet Tomato Jam
Try this savory take on ricotta pancakes for an easy dinner or fun brunch.
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided, plus more for cooking
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 oz. Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat; add onions, ¼ teaspoons salt and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes or until slightly softened and fragrant. Add brown sugar, vinegar and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes or until liquid is reduced and mixture is thick.
- Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped spinach and garlic; cook for 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted and garlic is fragrant. Cool completely.
- Whisk together eggs, ricotta, lemon zest, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and baking powder until thoroughly combined. Stir in flour and spinach mixture until just combined.
- Heat a griddle or large non-stick skillet over medium-medium low heat. Add oil to just coat the pan.
- Drop about ¼ cup of ricotta batter on the surface of the pan for each pancake. Cook for 2-4 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown, flip and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Serve pancakes topped with tomato jam.
- Refrigerate leftovers.