These sweet and spicy smoked ribs use a special dry rub and homemade glaze to give them big, juicy flavor. Serve them with ice-cold Coca-Cola® for the perfect summer spread.
Serves: 12Prep: 8 hours 20 minutesCook: 5 hours 10 minutesTotal: 13 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cayenne pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup ground mustard
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup seafood seasoning
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 racks ribs
- Mix together ½ cup salt, ¼ cup ground mustard, paprika, ¼ cup black pepper, ¼ cup cayenne pepper, white pepper, seafood seasoning and cumin. Keep dry and covered.
- In a separate bowl, mix together ketchup, vinegar, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper, 2 tablespoons salt and 1 tablespoon black pepper.
- In a thick-bottomed saucepot over medium-low heat, add sauce. Let warm; mix 10 to 15 minutes, stirring throughout. Remove; cool.
- Remove silver skin from bottom side of ribs. Evenly rub top and bottom of each rack with ¼ cup spice rub. Wrap each rack in plastic wrap; keep overnight in refrigerator or cooler.
- Heat smoker with wood (pecan or other fruit wood recommended), bringing it to 165°F and maintaining temperature. Once temperature is obtained, remove plastic from ribs. Arrange in smoker; cook 4 hours. The ribs should be cooked, but not falling off the bone.
- Remove ribs from smoker; glaze each rack with ½ cup BBQ sauce. Return to smoker for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove ribs from smoker; glaze with additional ½ cup BBQ sauce. Return to smoker for 20 minutes. Remove ribs; let rest 5 minutes. Cut into single or double bone sections. Enjoy with an ice-cold Coca-Cola®.