Lemony Matzo Ball Soup
A burst of bright lemon adds spring flavor to this traditional soup.
Serves: 5Prep: 20 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or schmaltz
- 1⁄4 cup Kroger® Seltzer Water
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup Simple Truth Organic® Carrots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- Fresh dill sprigs, if desired
- Thin lemon slices, if desired
- In a small bowl, whisk together matzo meal, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, oil and water. Add dry ingredients to wet, stirring to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring broth, lemon juice and vegetables to a simmer in a 4-quart saucepan.
- With damp hands, form matzo mixture into 1 ½-inch balls. Drop into simmering broth. Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes, until cooked through. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve matzo balls with broth. Garnish with dill and lemon slices if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers.