Cranberry Poached Pears
For a festive and flavorful holiday dessert with a touch of elegance, serve up these sweet and tender poached pears, topped with tangy mascarpone or crème fraiche!
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 pears, such as Bosc or D’Anjou, peeled, stems intact
- 4 cups Simply Cranberry Cocktail Juice (enough to cover pears)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange, peeled (rind reserved) and juiced
- 1 lemon, peeled (rind reserved) and juiced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup mascarpone or crème fraiche
- In small saucepan, add pears (they should fit snugly). Add enough cranberry juice to barely cover them, plus cinnamon sticks, citrus peels with juice, honey and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until pears are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add cranberries and simmer until soft but not mushy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Use spoon to transfer pears to a dish. Spoon cranberries and syrup around pears. Let cool for 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, transfer pears to plates with some of the cranberries, syrup, and a dollop of mascarpone or crème fraiche.