What is Zeaxanthin?
Zeaxanthin is a carotenoid, or plant pigment, found naturally in fruits and vegetables, including orange peppers, spinach, grapes and kiwi fruit, as well as in egg yolks.
In the body, zeaxanthin—along with another carotenoid, lutein—are concentrated in the retina of the eyes. While both compounds play a protective role in eye health, the importance of zeaxanthin hasn’t always been well known.
Research has shown, however, that while lutein can be found more concentrated around the outer edges of the macula, zeaxanthin dominates the center region—the area most critical for sharp, central vision. Of the total central macula content, zeaxanthin constitutes about 75 percent.
Lutein and zeaxanthin are often combined in dietary supplements designed to support eye health; and lutein is widely available by itself. However, not many stand-alone zeaxanthin products exist. With Vitacost Zeaxanthin, you get 4 mg of zeaxanthin in a single, easy-to-take liquid softgel. It features zeaxanthin extracted from a unique strain of peppers—paprika peppers—found to have an exceptionally high zeaxanthin content.
What are the key benefits of Vitacost® Zeaxanthin?
- Zeaxanthin is a carotenoid. Carotenoids have long been understood to play an important part in eye health because they’re concentrated in the macula and have an antioxidant role.*
- Research shows that higher plasma levels of lutein and zeaxanthin may be associated with macular health.*
Vitacost® Zeaxanthin is a targeted wellness solution - just for you.
- Easy-to-take liquid capsules
- Features natural zeaxanthin from paprika peppers
- Supplies 4 mg of zeaxanthin per single-capsule serving
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.